Every bride has a dream for their wedding dress: its style, details and theme. On the practical side, you also have to consider the price, which can lead to compromises. When you’re planning your wedding and reviewing your budget, you can choose between renting, buying or having your dress homemade.
Renting Your Wedding Gown
The most affordable wedding dress option is to rent. You will definitely save money. You may be able to have a few alternations, but most vendors will not mess with the sizing of the dress, so getting the perfect fit is more challenging. After your wedding, the dress must be returned to the vendor, so the keepsake factor of the wedding dress is lost. You also have to be careful of accidents, such as spillage, rips or tears. You can purchase insurance through the vendor as a safeguard.
Buying Your Wedding Dress
The most expensive wedding dress option is to buy. You will definitely need to get the dress altered for prefect fit final touches, but the end result is all yours and you will have the dress for the rest of your life, unless you decide to sell or hand down or pass over to others.
Custom Wedding Dresses
Another option, usually less expensive than buying a new dress, is to make a custom wedding dress. You still get to keep the dress, and it can be made to your specifications both in detail and fit. Cost can be comparable to renting a dress. You invest in the materials and then pay for labor. A custom wedding dress may sound great, but you must be aware of a few precautions:
- It can be difficult to conceptualize the exact style you want, with proper feel and fit
- It can take longer than you estimate to make (which can be terrifying with the Big Day pending)
- It may be more expensive than planned if there are numerous changes
- The end result may not resemble the idea or plan you have in your mind
With these precautions in mind, here are a few tips to guide your process:
- Make sure you buy extra material
- Try on the dress as it is being made and stay in constant contact with the dressmaker
- Realize that your body may change. As the wedding date draws near, be optimistic but practical. You want to be comfortable in your dress for the entire day, not just a few minutes.
When I got married, I chose to buy a dress. My wedding dress became a cornerstone for my planning. I can still look back and smile about my choice. I loved how I looked and I loved wearing it all day. If you are happy with your dress, it will show on your face and in your pictures!